Friday, November 13, 2009

Astral projection of myself to Schenectady.

In my continued exploration of all things Schenectady, I've been thinking about the types of places I might like to go or things I'd like to do, were I a visiting student.  So here is my virtual itinerary for my virtual visit.

While you may not even know what a vegan is, college is certainly an ideal time to learn about diverse cultures and lifestyles, especially if they are healthy ones.  Schenectady is to home to Big Guys Pizzeria and Moon and River Cafe.  From my online perusal, Big Guys is your typical pizzeria that also offers a vegan menu with non-dairy cheese pizza, subs, calzones, and even fake meet toppings.  Wierd? Maybe.  Different? Yes. Delicious? You bet your bippy!  Unfortunately, I couldn't find a virtual menu or even very many reviews.  Actually, the one review I did find specifically mentions that they have never tried any of the vegan items.  Clearly, the reviewer was not a curious, intellectual SCCC student, attempting to expand his or her horizons.  I fancy myself as a vegan restaurant reviewer, and I urge you to do the same.  There's a special thrill in making oneself a foodie for the day; real restaurant reviewers taste several dishes in a sitting (to get a "feel" for the cuisine), which basically embodies the values of any healthy college-aged male, and many females like myself!  After you steal a copy of the menu (just kidding) sit yourself down and write a witty little review, so that Steven S. isn't the only, lonely guy here talking about this stuff. 

Fortunately, Moon and River Cafe does have their own website. They even boast a scan of their menu; still, the best shot at reading it is to print it out, since half of it is upside down (hopefully SCCC students don't have a print quota like us Rose Buds)!  None the less, after salivating for several minutes a casual glance over the thing, I would totally be down for the tofu tapenade sandwich washed down with a vegan chocolate banana shake.  I suddenly have a strong urge to visit Schenectady-- nobody makes this stuff in my area of Albany! What's also great is that they seem to have events happening every night, (read: live music).

What else would you do, oh, guru of all things Schenectady, you ask?   Well, I'd be taking it back to the good old days, and I would go to the roller rink.  Maybe, I'd even go there as a field trip with my SCCC club friends.  This place really rocks my skate socks.  They have a Cheap Skate night where four dollars gets you in the rink, grooving to the sounds of the 70's, not to mention a Family Night, so all of you non-traditional students can get in on the fun without breaking the bank.

Last, but not least I would explore SCCC's campus and take a stroll down to visit K. Moore so I could find out some other fun things that some of the clubs and organizations are doing.

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment