Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Bad parking

It's no secret that the parking at SCCC is a problem for students.

However, you have less to complain about than other local schools. Most colleges charge for a parking space. I would say, on average, about $40 a year, but don't quote me on that figure. And, don't think that because they pay this fee that they can find parking spots in the same vicinity as their classes.

Last semester at St. Rose, I went the cheap route: I didn't buy a parking permit and tried my luck parking on Western and Madison Avenues.

There were occasions when I would be running late to class, and this seemingly small dilemma quickly became a disaster. Instead of being five minutes late, I was walking into class fifteen minutes late because I had spent the last ten minutes circling the school for a parking spot. Once I had finally parked the car, I had to walk a couple of blocks to my class which made me even later.

Then there was the first week of school.

I didn't read the signs and parked on the wrong side of the street on the wrong day of the week. A little something often referred to as alternate parking. The ticket cost me more than a parking permit for the entire semester would have.

So, this semester I bought a permit, and on my first day with access to the student lot, I was feeling good. I didn't have to wait for all the cars on Western to pass me before I could begin to parallel park in some tight space.

But, instead of finding myself at peace with the parking lot, I ended up ten times more frustrated. There was absolutely, positively, no parking anywhere. I circled the lot once or twice, and then stalked some girl walking to her class for her parking spot.

Most of this is old news. It's week seven already and I have adapted to my Fall 09 routine. But, what does any of this have to do with the parking at SCCC?

Well, let me tell you: students here at SCCC get to park for free- it's a privilege. Imagine paying $40 to park in this same parking lot with the same parking issues. When you feel like complaining about it, just zip your lips. Grin. And, bear it. At least it doesn't cost you anything.

But, now I turn to my case in point: just because parking is free, it doesn't give you the right to park like a jerk.

The past two days, I've come to work and pulled into the next available spot in my favorite parking zone.  Each morning, I dodge the morning commuters zipping off the highway onto Washington Ave on their way to work in Schenectady or Scotia.

These busy, often times negligent, drivers, however, are not my problem. I have been safely reaching the building just about every day for the last 4 years.

However,  I am losing my patience with another driver. For two days in a row, I have had to park at an angle because of this lazy driver who sloppily parked in the spot next to mine. Two mornings in a row, same reddish car, same parking spot, and same damn messed up parking job.

Come on, what is the matter with you? Can't you see the two painted-white lines?



I have been parking here a lot longer than you have, and I demand some respect.

I believe that I have OCD when it comes to parking spots. I get furious when anyone parks in "my spot," even though the spaces are available on a first come first serve basis.

Now, this afternoon when I left work, the reddish car was gone: most of the cars parked there this morning had left. And, there was my car, all alone, looking like I had been the orginator of horrible parking.

It wasn't my fault. Shame on you dirty reddish car!

If the car is there again tomorrow, maybe I'll leave an anonymous note:

No comments:

Post a Comment