Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ellen Gootblatt back by popular demand

Yesterday, Ellen Gootblatt, relationship expert, motivational speaker, creator and host of the #1 rated NYC talk radio show WABC, former Harlem high school and junior high school teacher and a dearly compassionate and energetic woman, came back to SCCC once again to wow her audience.

I am sorry to say that I had to miss her presentation, but if I ever want to become a teacher myself, I have to get through school first, and I had class at that time. I think that Ellen would understand.

What makes Ellen so great is her witty remarks, innate ability to demand her audiences' attention, draw them in, and be real to herself and her listeners. I got to see Ellen talk at the 2008 Fall Orientation here at SCCC and she was amazing. She activated her audience and took a bunch of questions from the students about their relationships.  He advise was invaluable for students and adults.

Ellen on another stop at SCCC  Ellen drew in such a huge audience that there was standing room only in the Auditorium. Again, school came first and I missed this presentation as well.


"She's easy to talk to. I just feel like I could tell her anything and she would listen to me and not judge."
-SCCC Student
Yesterday, Ellen came back to SCCC to share her radiant personality, sharp wit, creditable experience and oblique sense of humor. There is no doubt in my mind that she wowed her audience once again.

Since I couldn't be there for myself, I thought it might be a good idea to do a quick interview with someone who did get to see Ellen and listen to her share her expertise.

[K. Moore] What did you think of Ellen Gootblatt?
[Student] I loved her! She was really fun to listen to.

Did you learn anything new?
I think that we tend not to love ourselves as much as we should. We think that loving has to be between two people. But, it doesn't and it shouldn't be just that.



How well did her discussion map onto your own life and experiences? You can use a scale from 1-10, 10 being “she explained my entire life thus far” and 1 being “That lady was crazy, I don’t know what she was talkin’ bout.”
She was a 9. She didn't tell my whole life story, but even the things that didn't really apply to me still made sense and might be applicable in the future.
 

Would go to another presentation if she came back? 
Definitely, it was a lot of fun. 


This blogger from another school sums up one of Ellen's presentations very well.

Judging from the responses, I am going to take an educated guess and predict that Ellen will be back again.

Next time, I hope I can make it to her presentation. I could use the mental flush. When I heard Ellen speak, it was like she was that little bit of sunshine breaking threw the clouds making the picture become much clearer. I had been living with these clouds so long that I had begun to not even notice them anymore, then Ellen came, shed her wisdom and changed my pattern of thinking in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment